Beautiful Australia is the perfect destination for every traveler. Backpackers, campers, romantic souls, road-tripping buddies or urbanites, there is something for everybody in “the land of plenty”.
Is Australia first on your bucket list? It should be! We will help you plan your holiday there. Here are some essential info and friendly suggestions for first-time travelers to Australia.
1. Unless you are an Australia or New Zealand passport holder, you will definitely need a valid Australian visa to enter the country. Touristic visas for Australia can be free or paid, depending on the country you are coming from and the length of the traveling period. Explore visa options here.
2. Australia is known to be more on the expensive side. Therefore, a good budget planning is very important. If you plan everything precisely beforehand you can have a budget-friendly and great Australian holiday. Any last moment changes in the plan can cost you a lot.
3. Australia is a vast country. If your time is limited to a specific number of days or weeks you can’t get to visit everything. In order to enjoy and spent some productive time, you need to choose to visit one city or area. Making a specific route will save you time traveling on endless roads surrounded with nothing but wildlife.
A solid plan is a must before traveling to Australia. Therefore, here are some useful information and holiday suggestions for first-time travelers.
1. Official language: English
2. Currency: Australian dollar – AUD
3. Paying methods: you can pay with card in any restaurant, market and retailer in the cities. ATMs are everywhere if you are in need to draw cash.
4. Safety: Australia has a very low crime rate. It is a safe country to travel to. On the other hand, you should be very careful if you are out of the inhabited place. Australian flora and fauna have one of the most poisonous species in the world.
The first association whit Australia almost always is the amazing sights of Australia’s beautiful cities. Sydney and Melbourne are what we suggest should be the destinations for the first time visitor.
The buzzing modern cities are filled with important and interesting things to visit and places to enjoy. If you are planning a longer holiday than we suggest you plan a city hopping. If you are planning to spend only a week in Australia decide which city you would enjoy best. When it comes to Australia’s cities you should give yourself time to indulge in the beauty and enjoy them to the fullest.
Melbourne is an absolute favorite city in Australia for most of the travelers. Some call it the European enclave. We would say it’s more of a multifaceted city.
Melbourne offers many festivals, good restaurants and bars and a lot of museums, music events and art exhibitions. The colonial Victorian architecture is gorgeous. A free city circle tram offers sightseeing on the central business district and Victoria streets.
You can find great hotel packages in the CBD area in Melbourne and is the best location for your stay. From there you can easily transfer to some must-see locations in Melbourne. Here are some suggestions:
· Royal Botanic Gardens
· Queen Victoria Market
· St. Kilda village & beach
· Melbourne museum
· Yarra River cruise
The domestic flights inside Australia are affordable and a great way to travel. A flight from Melbourne to Sydney will cost around 30-50$. It usually lasts about an hour and a half.
Known as the cosmopolitan city, famous for its vibrant culture and international population, Sydney is the largest city in Australia. From the urban city center to historical places and superb beaches, Sydney is a mesmerizing place to visit and enjoy.
For an unforgettable stay, we recommend you to choose the Sydney harbour accommodation. The view of the harbour and the atmosphere around it is just amazing.
Here are some of the must-see places in Sydney:
1. City center – the central business district is where you can take a picture in front of the Sydney opera house. Many museums, parks, restaurants, cafés and shops are located there. Don’t miss to visit the Royal Botanic Gardens.
2. Darling Harbour – this is where most of the harbor cruises depart from. A cruise is a great way to experience Sydney by day and by night. Here you can also visit the National Maritime Museum.
3. The Rocks – the famous fun nightlife of Sydney is located here. Nightclubs, bars, restaurants that offer enjoyment 24h a day.
4. Surry Hills – The creative suburb of the city that unites arts, fashion, design and music.
5. Bondi Beach – this iconic Sydney beach is a great place to learn to surf, or you can just enjoy a day on the beach. It’s beautiful.
If you are planning a city-hopping, we suggest you to also visit Brisbane and Canberra. Even though less famous, these two cities offer beautiful city experiences for tourists and travelers.
To read more on topics like this, check out the travel tips category.